Written from her wheel chair in the last years of life. Mary Swain, my mom, didn’t stop her devotion to Jesus nor her fight for life nor her being His Workmanship.
this is her ” Mental Health list to her self:
1. Be active : exercise, a worthwhile pursuit, consistent, think about what I do as for God’s glory.
2. Rest: do not over do. Exercise discretion in what is commendable activity and what is reasonable based on amount of strength.
3. Diet: What I eat affects my mind as well as body. Is this food nutritious?
4. Reach out to people. Make friends. care about them. Pray for them. Contact them. Recognize that God puts certain people in my path. See their good qualities Accept their faults knowing that I have many faults which hopefully people will be able to over look. Practice sincerity of heart-no hypocracy- accept everyone as a special creation of God with specific needs.
5. Do not take myself to seriously. Be able to laugh at my mistakes. Do not beat myself over sins but go to God. Examine my heart. Pray for my relationship with God Talk to Him often. Ask for a heart of love for Him. ask for a working of the Holy Spirit within me. Trust in His working in my life.
6. If i become worried or despondent or feel far from God i sing ” Turn Your eyes upon Jesus….” go to His word because He is the Comforter. He is always the Giver we are the recipients of His mercy.
7. Choose carefully what I watch, what I listen to, what I read. The news is necessary but depressing. Always to be coupled with Gods word and the assurance that He is supreme and is working all things to result in His glory.
After living a life decades of being a social misfit from her handicaped body, and surviving divorce and being a widow, she doesn’t waver from her internal solid core beliefs and worldlife view.